How To Choose LED Lights for Cannabis Cultivation
by Katherine Hargreaves | AROYA Contributor
As home cannabis cultivation becomes more mainstream, more people are choosing to build indoor setups to better sustain plant health and increase the success of their gardens. Although LEDs have been around for a while, the technology behind grow lights has rapidly improved in parallel with the growing market. Which is good news – given the cost involved with setting up your indoor garden, finding lights that will do the job isn’t hard. However, selecting the best LEDs for your set-up can be overwhelming given all the products available now. This begs the question: how do you choose the right LED lights for cannabis cultivation?
This article outlines the best LEDs on the market today along with an easy-to-reference guide to figure out which ones are worth your investment. But first, let’s discuss why LEDs are a better choice than your average grow light.
Cannabis cultivators love LEDs, and it’s easy to see why. Not only do they produce exceptional buds in less time, but they stay cooler than their traditional HPS counterparts. Although more expensive at the outset, LED lights save you money over their lifetime, resulting in a lower electric bill each month.
Additionally, many LED manufacturers have increased the wattage growth power with specialized lenses that focus light on plants, increasing yields compared to older models. No matter the size or specs of your setup, there’s an LED that will help you grow your most fruitful yield yet.
Overall, LEDs are recommended if…
- You are willing to invest in the most cutting-edge technology for your indoor garden.
- You want a customized spectrum of light.
- You don’t plan on incorporating an exhaust system or ducting.
- Ease of use is a priority for you.
- You want to grow higher-quality cannabis!
Types of LEDS
Given the diversity in models, there isn’t one LED that ranks best. Each garden is unique, and each LED has its own constraints and benefits. Generally, there are three types of LEDs to consider:
- Spread Style – Simply put, this is many small LEDs dispersed over a larger area. Some examples of this are the quantum board and the “spider style” LEDs. Quantum boards are compact, single boards with multiple diodes dispersed over their area whereas the “spider style” has several arms with a similar design, just spread out like an arachnid. Although more expensive than the quantum board, growers swear by them.
- Traditional Panel – Standard panels are compact options with small to medium wattage diodes. Consider them a happy medium between the spread style and the COB style, with a solid array of features from both.
- COB Style – Whereas the other two LED styles feature smaller diodes, the COB style has large bulbs comprised of multiple LED chips. This style offers more intense light and is known for its deep penetration of the plant canopy.
Choosing The Right LEDs For Your Grow
When researching LEDs, there are three factors to consider: Power, Color, and Cost. Everything else is extra once you know these three details.
Horticulture Lighting Group HLG 100 V2 LED - 100W
- A reliable yet budget-friendly option
- Good for a small grow
- Perfect LED for beginner cultivators
- Available in Rspec for Veg and Flowering or 4K Veg spectrums
Fluence Spyderx Plus 660
- Designed to cover a 4’x4’ area
- Unparalleled uniform coverage
- Delivers an average of 1030 µmol/m2/s of light
- Best for close-proximity, controlled environment commercial setups, and multi-tier vertical farming environment
Gavita Pro 1700e LED 120-277 Volt
- Best for grow rooms with low ceilings or compact spaces
- Rated by top growers as one of the most efficient LEDs
- Can be controlled externally
- Great for larger operations
ViparSpectra Dimmable LED Grow Lights
- Four sizes to choose from
- Excellent quality at a reasonable price from an established brand
- Great customer service
- Complete customization
GalaxyHydro Roleadro LED Grow Lights
- One of the best prices for LEDs on the market
- Two-year replacement warranty
- Multiple configurations and light sizes to choose from
- Highly rated by growers
California Lightworks Solar System 1100
- Fully programmable
- Stays cool even in hotter climates
- Heavy-duty construction
- Comes with LED controller and glasses